The collection is open for research.
The material is stored offsite in Remote Storage. Please contact Special Collections 3 working days in advance if you wish to use it.
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Item, Folder number and/or title, Box number, Battle Creek Sanitarium Collection, MSS 263, Special Collections, MSU Libraries, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
Purchased by Shirley Sliker of Shirley's Book Services in 2002.
Processing information is unknown.
The Battle Creek Sanitarium opened in 1866 in Battle Creek, Michigan as the Western Health Reform Institute. The institute was founded on the health principles advocated by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. In 1876, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg became the medical superintendent at the sanitarium. Kellogg changed the institution’s focus from hydrotherapy to medical and surgical treatment. His many innovations included the use of radiation therapy for cancer patients and the invention of flaked cereal.
The collection contains articles, pamphlets, menus, and postcards published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium from 1920-1930. Most of the articles and pamphlets were written by John Harvey Kellogg and were published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium in 1929.