George M. Houser Africa collection
Identifier: MSS 294 large
Covers most countries of Africa, and includes notes on George Houser's many trips to Africa: to Guinea-Bissau in 1960, 1961, 1967, 1972, 1973; Lusaka, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde in 1974, 1975/6; Western Sahara and Algeria in 1978, 1979, 1981 (taped); 1983, and Namibia in 1989. The collection includes material relating to the American Committee on Africa (ACOA), Africa Action, American Negro Leadership Conference on Africa, and International Defence and Aid Fund. Some of the many correspondents include Julius Nyerere, Joshua Nkomo, Kanyama Chiume, Martin Luther King, Victoria Chitepo, Mary-Louise Hooper, Piet Koornhof (South African Ambassador), George W. Shepherd, and David H. Anthony. Also included are 12 original cassette tapes of interviews by George Houser and Herbert Shore with ANC leader Walter Sisulu recorded September 20-26 1995, which formed the basis for the book "I will go singing: Walter Sisulu speaks of his life and the struggle for freedom in South Africa / in conversation with George M. Houser & Herbert Shore," Cape Town: Robben Island Museum in association with the Africa Fund, New York, 2001.
- approximately 1950-1999
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
10 Linear Feet (10 boxes) ; 27 x 40 x 13 cm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession information unknown, transferred in increments from the African Activist Archive Project in New York, with most recent transmittals in 2015.
Forms part of the African Activist Archive.
Varying Form of Title George Houser Archives on Africa, 1950s-1990s.
Varying Form of Title George Houser papers on Africa, 1950s-1990s.
Varying Form of Title African Activist Archive.
- Africa -- Foreign relations -- United States -- Sources.
- Africa -- Politics and government -- 1960- -- Sources.
- Anti-apartheid activists -- United States -- Sources.
- Anti-apartheid movements -- United States -- Sources.
- National liberation movements -- Africa -- Sources.
- National liberation movements -- Africa, Southern -- Sources.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Africa -- Sources.
- Finding Aid for the George M. Houser Africa collection, 1950s-1990s
- Finding aid prepared by MarcEdit.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard